Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Some non angry words

I guess my last post did sound a little bitter and I realize that now, so I edited it some. I was quite angry that day and I guess I took some things a little too far. Some people from Alabama took offense and I am sorry from that, but I thought that some criticism was ok. That day and the whole week before I was bombarded by very religious Alabamians that were very pig-headed and I was using this space to let out some feelings. It is either that or do a destructive behavior. I guess since traveling to New York, a symbol of the freedoms in the US, I have become a little more focused on what I see as important. Right now I am going through an anti-organized religion stage in my life and I just am sorting out what is important. One of my new things is to stop hating others for what they believe and I was a wrong in the way I was explaining that. Using psychology terms I have been learning, I was using anger as a defense mechanism. I have encountered a lot of the "bad" people from Alabama but I have met some really great people here too. I guess Alabama or any Bible belt state is the wrong place to be anti-organized religion. I just get frustrated when the classroom, news, and politics are wrapped in religion and they are also bashing gay people. I guess I will try to steer clear of religion and politics since those are the topics that I am very passionate about now and I don't want to make people angry with me. This is why I don't talk about these things at school with my friends because I am so outnumbered. I am used to going to college and working with people from all religious backgrounds. I have had friends that are Buddhists, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, agnostic and all types of christianity and I enjoy being around people that are all unique and different. It makes life interesting and fun to learn new things all the time.

Anywho, I have met some great Alabamians that have showed me that there are some open minded people. I have had the great pleasure of having some wonderful teachers at school, oddly only two have been from Alabama and one didn't talk about religion and the other will not stop preaching in class and saying some really bold things. Of course she also has some issues she needs to work out that she tends to bring into class with her. I have also taken care of some wonderful patients that were very sweet and were from Alabama. Where I worked until recently I had the pleasure of working with some wonderful southern nurses that have taught me a lot and I appreciated the time that they spent with me and the fact that they took me under their wing and made me feel like a part of their family. It was like having 8 moms!

I guess also I am finally getting the nerve to speak my mind after 25 years of being the scared, shy, not wanting to piss anyone off girl who wanted everyone to love her! I tend to rant for a long time now because I feel like I have a lot to say. I still do want everyone to love me and I feel like some people now will hate me for some of the things I wrote and I hope that is not true. I guess I have not met many friends at school or work that are my age or younger since I feel more like a 22 year old and I miss hanging out and partying like the good old days. Eric and I will have to go out clubbing more on our own and meet new people. Everyone from MSU, and MI that are reading this, I miss you all so much and I am sad that we didn't hang out more when we lived nearby. We just took advantage of the fact that you were all so close and had no idea that we would move so far away........ Eric and I have each other and we have really learned that how much we love each other and are truly each others greatest friends since we have been here. We do have a house down here that we love and we adopted and bought our two dogs down here that we love so dearly.

On a lighter note, I recently rented some fun, happy girly movies when Eric was out of town. I watched Mona Lisa's smile and Uptown girls. I thoroughly enjoyed them! Julia Roberts rocks and she was very cute in Mona Lisa's smile. She played a strong female character. Uptown girls was a light hearted girly movie that was very funny. Brittany Murphy, the cute little girl from Cat and the Hat - Dakota Fanning, and the cutest pig called Moo were in it. It was a sweet, cute movie. I rented these when Eric was gone since he is not the girly movie type guy. We also rented Something's gotta give with Jack Nicholson and that was such a great movie. It was funny and had a romantic story line. Plus Keanu Reeves was really hot in it so there was him for me and Amanda Peet for Eric. Something for the whole family to enjoy. Plus the medical stuff was all things I have learned and I knew exactly what they were saying.

On another light note, I have been doing well in school. I am so glad that the semester is ending soon since I need a break. School is really stressful, but in a good way. I had a lot of great experiences in clinicals this semester. My clinical instructor who was my teacher at the hospital when I worked with real patients was such an inspiring nurse. She was so knowledgeable and I really learned a lot from her! I have learned that I do not want to work on older adults unless it is in a fast paced unit like ER, or Med-flight. I would live to do one of those but I am really interested in NICU, pediatrics or OB/GYN. I just love kids and I interact well with them. I am not shy when it comes to kids and babies. Next year I get to do clinicals in Pediatrics and OB/GYN so I am really looking forward to that. This summer I am Forensic Nursing which sounds really cool. I had a taste of it this semester from a group presentation. Forensic Nursing is like CSI, but reality. It will also involve some science which is something else I miss doing. I am really anxious about finishing school so that I can start working!

No comments: