Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Everything is Rent!

First, I thought I would post some thoughts on the musical Rent. First thought, this was a great musical to see. Second, I was either asleep or just slow when I saw it the first time. Sue bought the soundtrack as soon as we got back, and I have listened to it a few times. For those who have never seen it, you can skip this part. For the rest, you can laugh at my ignorance:

- I never knew that Roger had AIDS (even though not 10 minutes in they stop the music and have Mark tell Roger to take AZT).
- I never knew that Tom Collins had AIDS.
- I did not figure out that Angel had AIDS until he was in the white outfit (even though she explicitly says she has Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrom).
- I did not figure out that Mimi had AIDS until she was sick at the very end of the play.

Reading the list over again, I think I see a bit of a pattern...

I still have a few questions about Rent:

1) What is with the obession with Santa Fe? Two songs sing about it. And it is mentioned at least two other times.

2) When the junkie group is singing, what the heck are the following: B, C, D, Horse, and Jugie Boogie Boy

If anyone has an answer, post it to the comments.

No comments: