Monday, April 26, 2004

Good Weekend Part 1

What a good weekend! First, Sue and I rented Kill Bill Vol. 1. She hated it, but I actually really liked it. I know it was bloody; pointlessly bloody. But it was stylish, brilliant sound, and classic Tarantino. I loved all the conflicting imagery. I especially like the initial shot of them fighting in the living room with the camera shot through the picture window to the suburban screen in the front yard. I loved the fact that the soundtrack would be completely disconnected from the scene playing out. It makes some of the really graphic stuff seem less disturbing.

And you have to like Uma Thurman. She is bad ass in this movie and at the same time completely lovable. That is the essence of every Quentin Tarantino movie. A series of dichotomies. Good people driving you nuts, and the bad people becoming your hero.

It did have some flaws. I was not a big fan of the Anime, although it was clearly necessary (don't want to fuck up a kid actor for the rest of their life). But that part of the story could have been left out. And blood seemed to spray out of people like it was under 500psi. Maybe it does spray out like that, but it seemed like it was just way too much. And why the heck were they bleeping out her name? What is the point of that?

We also rented Anger Management. First reaction: Sucked. It was boring. It was totally unbelievable. It was ridiculous. It did have some really good moments, but they could not overcome the fact that my suspension of disbelief would not suspend itself long enough to enjoy the movie.

No comments: