Monday, April 05, 2004

Job Offer

Today I got the following via email:

I reviewed your resume on the Web and was impressed with your qualifications. I wish to discuss open positions at Microsoft in Redmond, WA (emphasis added by me).

As I am sure many of you are aware, working for Microsoft is either a developers worst nightmare, or the equivalent of a software engineer's wet dream. (Side Note: the actual software engineer wet dream as a manner of fact is Asia Carrera. She is a member of Mensa, and is the sysadmin for her own website. An intelligent geek who likes to take her clothes off:) drool........). Anyways, back to the point of this blog. I fall squarely in the category of people who think working at Microsoft would be a wet dream come true.

That's why this email was so hard to read. There is no reasonable way that Sue and I could move to Redmond, WA right now. For one, we just bought a house. For another, Sue has only one year to go before she finishes her nursing degree. Finally, the plan is to move CLOSER to Michigan and our families, not "as far as possible in the continental United States." Still, the possibilities leave me with a sick feeling in my stomach that I am giving up on something great...

However, Sue just pointed out to me that it should be taken as a really good sign that I am getting job offers like this out of blue. It should mean that when we finally want to get back into the Midwest (sickening I know, but its what I know and love), it should make it relatively easy.

No comments: