Saturday, June 21, 2008

Work Work Work

It's been a while since I last bitched about work. I'm a little afraid you all think that I have this perfect job where I am stress free, working in my underwear at home, making a bunch of money, and then shut it all off whenever I want.

Sadly, that about as far away from the truth as you can get without approaching from the other side.

Like any job, I have good days and bad days. Lately it seems like I have WAY more bad days then good though. And it all boils down to one reason:

I fucking hate Matt.

Matt is the sort of developer that makes every other developer want to cock punch him...repeatedly...with a 2x4....that's on fire. Matt is one of the only people on Earth that given to chance to kill him without anyone finding out, I would really do it.

Its not that Matt isn't smart; oh how I wish it was that simple. Instead, Matt is a really smart guy who has the managerial skills of a rabid bear and the social skills of 3rd grader.

Good example: Yesterday I had a conversation with Matt that went something like this:

Matt: I think we should rename everything in the project to use this format < some technical garbage >

Me: We could I guess. I think this other format is simpler though, and we already have a bunch of code that uses it.

Matt: Really? Are you sure you we shouldn't just use my naming convention.

Me: Yes really. The current names are fine.

Matt: <long pause> OK. I'll ask some other people and we can talk about it later.

Translation: I don't like your answer, so I'm going to change the spec anyways and force you to change everything later.

And this is how it is with every decision on the project. Matt is one of those guys that can't let stand any decision that wasn't the one he would have made, even if the decision is really fine in the grand scheme of things. Things like naming internal tools, internal code layout, table formats: everything has to be "Matt's way" or it is wrong.

I fucking hate Matt.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Where is he, I will throw down for my man!!!

Eric said...

Will you light the 2x4 for me?

Joyce said...

soak the 2 by with some pitch, it burns hotter and the oil will splatter all over his face!!!!!!