Friday, June 27, 2008

Parents and God

It finally happened today. I was talking to my Mom and for whatever reason, the subject came up of whether I believe in God.

Ah crap...

I told that I'm just not sure. Even that (which is probably widely optimistic in describing my outlook) caused my Mom to pause for several seconds before laying down the "you know you won't be going to heaven if you don't believe" speech.

Ah crap...

I don't know where I am. But I do know that people who are SO DAMN SURE make me uncomfortable. Maybe because I'm jealous. Maybe because I question how anyone can be so sure of something like that. Maybe because I used to be that person.

BAH...

3 comments:

Tophiferous said...

That is why its called faith! You don't know for sure, you can only believe what you do, and see what comes of it. There's a philosophy about faith that I absolutely loved reading in college. I can't remember who wrote it, it was an early Christian saint the cliffs note version went something like this
...You can believe, die, and then find out you were wrong or You can believe, die, and find out you were right or You can not believe, die and find out you were wrong, or finally you can not believe, die, and find out you were right.
All in all, what have you got to lose?
But anyway its late, and I taught catechism, so if you have any questions/or wanna bounce thoughts back and forth lemme know.
I know I just can't sit here and listen to the rain comin down while I have to use the facilities haha so tootles!

Anonymous said...

I actually am born and raised Catholic. Even I don't believe in God myself, and me with all the medical luckouts that God has done to make me live when I was younger. I still don't think I believe in God. Will I ever share the conversation with my mother? No :) Poor Eric, yea that one of the conversations never encounter with your folks!

Sue said...

Yeah, one day I should actually tell my parents that I am an atheist and have been for a while now. Although, luckily, they were never super religious nut jobs like Eric's brother and mom can be at times ;) I love them all anyway.

I believe in human power and strength and I do not think that you need an inanimate idea of a super being to make you strong and to accomplish your hopes and dreams. I think that belief can hinder you at times... Plus I have seen way to many people that claim to be "christian" and really they are consumed with hatred for people just because of the color of their skin or the life they lead.