Thursday, August 18, 2005

Hey, these are Southwestern Toppings!!!

I'm in Tucson on TDY for the next couple of days working on yet another helicopter loader. I give Tucson credit: this place is really beautiful. It's one of the few times I wish I had a small camera phone or something like that to take pictures with. Even the view out of my room is nice. Mountains and scrub and empty land as far as the eye can see. It's even better than Phoenix, at least the parts of Phoenix I am used to (too much smog there hides some of the really great views).

It is so empty that the Pentagon parks all the moth balled aircraft of the Air Force and Navy at an air base here. I actually went and visited it today for kicks. It's surreal. You almost get that weird feeling you get whenever you enter a graveyard. Here's a picture I found that does it pretty good justice:

2 comments:

R said...

Tucson's pretty cool, but I wouldn't live there. I once saw this National Geographic special on scorpions, which the Sonoran Desert is chock full of, and they said that scorpions can get into any crack the thickness of a DIME.

Nice place to visit, but fuck the scorpions.

Eric said...

Its from the Simpsons. Homer yells it near the end of the hunger strike episode when Homer proves that the baseball team is moving.