Sunday, June 06, 2004

Eric's thoughts on Harry Potter

I need to preface this with the following note: I have never read the third <english accent>Harry Potter</english accent> book. Therefore, I am judging the movie only on the basis of it's theatrical merit, not how true it was to the book. Now that I have the disclaimer out of the way...

This was a really good movie. Perhaps the best of three so far. It certainly has a different look and tone to it then the first two. Comparing this movie to the previous two would be an excellent film school exercise to show what a difference the director of a movie can make. I've often been curious if the director really makes that much of a difference in the final outcome of a movie, or if the story and the 100s of people involved make the movie what it is. This was one of the rare opportunities to see what a difference a different director makes.

I think it helped the story for book 3 is more interesting, grown up, and complex then the first two books. Now that the characters are adolescents, the story is becoming more complex and more charged. The actors are given a larger range of emotions to work with, including vengeance, real anger, and just a hint of love.

I only have two real complaints about the movie. First, the new Dumbledore is just not the same. And I don't mean just the actor is different. I mean the whole character seems to have changed. Dumbledore used to be this old and wise wizard with a stern but not off putting personality. This new Dumbledore is a little too light-hearted and cheery eyed. He also has a new outfit that seems a little too hippie and not authoritative. It's just a different take on the character I guess, but in my opinion it is a take for the worse.

The only other thing I have to complain about the movie was that I thought it was a little too long. But then again I went to see it with Sue and Dana when I was supposed to be at work, so I was probably just thinking about being late getting back:)

6 comments:

Sue said...

I agree too about Dumbledore. He was too different. Being different is ok, but this take on Dumbledore was not right. The whole outfit he wore bugged me because it made him too hippie like and took away from the character's role as a leader and a role model. His personality as Dumbledore was also strange and he reminded me of Santa Claus, not Dumbledore.

As far as length. I would have been happier if it would have been longer to add the other things that were taken out.

R said...

Spider-Man 2 is going to kick Harry Potter's ass up and down Hogwarts. And then serve it to him on a silver platter.

Sue said...

Nah.

Sue said...

Yeah D! We like what we like and you like what you like. It is what makes life fun!!! :) Must study for final...............

R said...

No, what makes life fun is Spider-Man kicking the magical snot out of the scarred juvenile!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*THWIP!*

:)

Sue said...

Ok, it really isn't a big deal. Are you 10? Jeesh.