Friday, May 21, 2004

I'm melting..........

Today in Huntsville, Alabama it is 90 degrees with 80% humidity. It is sunny but too damn hot and muggy to enjoy! You step outside for a minute and you begin sweating bullets. My dogs don't even want to be outside because they start panting right away from the intense heat. I have had many arguments with my fellow nursing classmates that have moved from the north to Florida and lived there or in Alabama for several years and they are always saying that they love it and that "it is the best." I am always saying that I personally miss the snow and experiencing all FOUR seasons (yes there are four) that they have in Michigan where I am from. One of the main reasons for the title of this blog (which Eric came up with) is that it is sooooo hot down here from May until September that it is like burning in Hell. I love to garden and today I had to replant some flowers in bigger pots and I also bought a couple more flowers to place in the old planters. I was outside for a minute just putting things in order to begin and to sweat buckets. I do not consider this kind of weather nice or pleasant, because you cannot enjoy it! Even if you have a pool or lake house you cannot stay out too long because you would get heat stroke or burn up. Even if you are abnormal and do not sweat like a whore in church, then you get tons of skin cancer! I miss the less humid spring time when you can sit outside and read or go for a walk or jog during the day and not die or have to change your clothes. And I am sorry, but Christmas with out snow is abnormal! I can never get into the Christmas spirit down here until we go back home the week before and see the beautiful snow. Going to schoold down here is not the same in the fall. On my old campus, the beautiful MSU, I would walk to class everyday for 20-30 minutes sevearl times a day and I would not mind. It was so beautiful to look at all of the beautiful colors the leaves produced. Ahh the good old college memories.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same season withdrawl when living in California. Cause let me tell ya, it is way worse there. It doesn't get quite as hot there, but it also doesn't get near as cold as it does here. ;) Also - NO RAIN! It drove me nuts. I just returned from Florida where it was way hotter and I thought I'd spontaneously combust. I kind of hate Florida. ;) I feel the hot burning pain you feel. Oh, I'm already half way through the Phoenix...Many thanks. With 6 plane rides in 7 days...that book came in so very handy. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

this past weekend in michigan it was like fall. it has rained so much that everything is about to or has flooded. It has been cold. Fall like weather rather than spring. please send some warmer weather, preferably not as humid as you talk about.

Sue said...

Well, it is America and we all have a right to our own opinions. My personal opinion is that I would much rather be cold than sweating to death. Not having a air conditioner down here is just crazy!!! For one we would stink and second our dogs would hate us and they would pass out.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear, I was born and raised in Alabama, and left as soon as I got a job somewhere else. But in all fairness, the weather while Hot and Humid as, well, Alabama, is only 4 months of the year. Fall and Spring are wonderful, and fall lasts all the way until early December, while Spring starts in March. I've lived now in Alabama, North Carolina, Washington, DC, San Diego, and am now living just outside of Boston. Boston clearly has 4 seasons, but there are no leaves on the trees for half the year. San Diego has lovely weather but it's dry and always at risk of burning up from real fire. I went to college in Alabama (Auburn) and remember simply wonderful weather in Sept-Dec, and Mar-May. Winter was ugly (gray and rainy usually), but on the other hand, I recall playing frisbee golf in open sandles in February. North Carolina was better weather because the hottest part of summer was shorter and there was more of 4 seasons. DC was cold, and or incredibly muggy. New England is incredible for it's variety of weather. 70's one day, and snowing the next. I've seen it drop 40 degrees in one day. But it's bone chilling cold. Still I'm here to stay, because my family is home here and we have a wonderful vacation home in Maine (wanta talk cold?). What's my rambling point? Don't complain about the weather and pin point a region or state as "sucking." Too harsh. And it reflects on the people. Not fair.
Trust, you don't mean to offend. But there are virtues to every area that outweigh the weather. I grew up there, probably won't live there again, but the people there made me what I am. I was educated there first. It's not a bad place. At least there are some good people there. Peace.