Friday, January 12, 2007

Scratch Global Warming off the list

Federal Way schools restrict Gore film

You can't make up shit like this. A school in the Seatle area has restricted the viewing of Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth documentary. They insist that, much like evolution, global warming is only a theory and as such, cannot be presented as fact. They issued a ruling saying that the movie can only be shown if a creditable alternative is also presented. The best (er...worst) thing is the e-mail from a concerned parent that caused this uproar in the first place.

"Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He's not a schoolteacher," said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who also said that he believes the Earth is 14,000 years old. "The information that's being presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is. ... The Bible says that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn't in the DVD."


Are you fucking kidding me? Never mind that he is actually making an argument for global warming:) Never mind that nearly every arm of the US government has in fact endorsed the idea of at least some form of global warming. Never mind that he compared Al Gore to a contraceptive. Never mind any of that. Lets just focus on where this line of thinking leads us. What's next? We start pointing out the fact that the "Theory" of Relativity is only a theory and that we should take everything it predicts with a grain of salt? How about that whole earth revolves around the sun thing? Should we present some alternatives to that too?

His wife has a even more American view:

"From what I've seen (of the movie) and what my husband has expressed to me, if (the movie) is going to take the approach of 'bad America, bad America,' I don't think it should be shown at all," Gayle Hardison said. "If you're going to come in and just say America is creating the rotten ruin of the world, I don't think the video should be shown."

I.e., I would prefer that my childern not seen the world the way it is (we account for 5% of the world population and generate 25% of the pollution), but instead I just want to wave my flag and yell "U-S-A! U-S-A!". Sigh...

4 comments:

Kieno said...

Ohhh!!! Thank God I'm only imagining this lack of snow!

For a moment there I thought we were really screwed, but since it's just a theory, Fuck It!

Paul said...

"Never mind that he compared Al Gore to a contraceptive."

now that's the funny Eric *I* know

reminds me of one of my favorite The Onion headlines: "Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity With New 'Intelligent Falling' Theory"

Eric said...

To be fair, it's not that bad of a comparison. I know I can never get a hard on when Al Gore is speaking.

Jenniferlyn said...

You mean that Al Gore is NOT a contraceptive? And to think all fo these years... oh well.

Good post Eric! Those people are utterly rediculous and very contradicting!