Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Learn something new every day

I had a rather embarrassing experience yesterday (at least, its embarrassing for a computer geek like me). I discovered quite by accident that for the last 6 months or so I have been running my dual core Athlon 64 x2 as a single core. Nice. 6 months of playing WoW and the Sims 2 at roughly half the speed they should have been running at. Really, really, nice...

When I upgraded my CPU/motherboard, I just used my existing hard drive and installed some new drivers. Turns out that if you upgrade from a single proc to a dual proc in WindowsXP, the OS does not detect the second CPU automatically. In fact, there is no way to update the OS to use the second proc without reinstalling the OS (apparently a very low level component is installed during the OS install that cannot be replaced without reinstalling the whole thing). So guess what I spent the day doing? No really, I bet you can guess.

Ah well. I have to get back to "pwning the n00bs" as R would say. At least now I can see them twice as often as before:)

P.S. For the record, I would NEVER say "pwning the n00bs". NEVER!

5 comments:

Paul said...

ah, one of the age-old, timeless mistakes, just like starting a land war in central Asia!

Anonymous said...

Or like getting into a battle of wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Kieno said...

"pwning the n00bs"

I never understood this. Are you saying:

"owning the noobs"

"Pawning the noobs" or

"Pawning the boobs"?

Paul said...

it's "owning" them, but with a puh

If this really *is* a readership of five, than this is essentially recreating freshman dorm on the series of tubes we know as the interweb.

Jordan Knol said...

Jesus Christ. :)
I just went back and read this post, and didn't understand the first two paragraphs. Interestingly, the LAST one I DID understand, and actually knew what it meant. It's "Owning the Newbies" which is an elitist way of making sure no one new learns how to play whatever alternate-universe-game you all are playing instead of having lots and lots of real-life sex. People started mistyping with a "P" instead of an "O" and it stuck. They were probably typing so fast out of the sheer excitement of smiting a Lev. 5 Paladin with a CloudSong. Shit, wouldn't we all be? :P
~DZL