Friday, May 20, 2005

Weddings are Officially Insane

Ka-ching! Wedding price tag nears $30K

According to this article, the average cost of a wedding in the US is now roughly $26,000, and it is fast approaching $30,000. Jesus fucking Christ! I guess when Sue and I have kids, we will have to set two funds. One to pay for college and another to pay for their weddings (and assuming we have 2 kids and at least one will get divorced, that means we need to have enough for three weddings!).

Taking a larger scale view is even scarier. When I read the following, I knew we as a country were in SERIOUS trouble:

"A total of $125 billion -- about the size of Ireland's GDP -- will be spent on 2.1 million weddings in 2005..." (emphasis is mine).


That's right folks, in our country engaged couples spend on a one day event what other western countries create in total economic output over the course of an entire year. Please just smite us now God. Get it over with. We are doomed. DOOMED I TELL YOU!

I think Sue and I got married for about $8,500 total, not including our honeymoon to Italy (that was paid for with wedding gifts). So at least we are doing good in terms of the average. Still, sometime I wonder if I should not have just taken my father up on his offer to pay to fly us out to Las Vegas to elope. We could have gotten married with Elvis! I mean come on. You can't put a price on an Elvis wedding (Actually you can: $650 at the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel).

2 comments:

R said...

Fuuuuuuuck. I don't get this whole "parents pay for wedding" shit. They don't HAVE to get married. They chose to, so they can pay for their own wedding, dammit.

It's just exhorbitant shit. It really shows why we have a 50% divorce rate in this country. Everyone is so focused on the ONE FUCKING DAY they forget to think about what happens AFTER the party. You know, the REAL marriage?

Stupid-ass people.

Sue said...

R, I totally agree. People get married for the wrong reasons these days. Some people get married just to have a wedding! Then they end up getting married 2 or 3 times! That is why Eric and I paid for most of our own wedding. Our parents gave us each a little bit of money but we did not demand any. They wanted to give us some. We also kept the wedding as cheap as we could with it still being elegant and not trashy!