Thursday, May 19, 2005

Star Wars Episode III review

Sue and I saw Star Wars episode III this morning. My entire office more or less cleared out for it. Apparently someone forgot to tell our boss (same thing happened when Matrix Revolution came out). I would have payed really good money to see the look on his face as he wandered from room to room looking for ANYONE to answer his questions.

Let me just get this out of the way: This was the first Star Wars prequel I have seen and not walked out of the theater thinking, "Well that sucked...". My order of greatness for the Star Wars films is now:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) Return of the Sith & Return of the Jedi
4) Attack of the Clones
5) The Phantom Menence

Good thing about this movie:

1) Does an excellent job of tying everything together.
2) Light saber battles, light saber battles, and more light saber battles.
3) Natalie Portman cleavage.
4) More light saber battles
5) Yoda speak. (Old am I, yet speaking well never did I learn).

Bad things (WARNING - SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON):

1) I thought Anakin's conversion to the dark side went WAY too fast. One minute he lements "what have I done?", and not 30 seconds later he is calling Dark Sideous master. Sorry, but that just went too fast to be believable.

2) The biggest bad ass bad guy ever created was a huge pussy. There I said it. He cries like a baby, and when he yells "NOoooooo" at the end in the Vader suit, it really damaged my whole outlook of him.

Questions left unanswered:

1) During the conversation in front of the bubbles show (what the fuck was that?), Sidious makes it sound like his master actually caused Anakin to be concevied. Did anyone else get that? It would make sense given Sidious's comments about Anakin completing his desteny when he switched to the dark side.

2) Why does C-3PO need to get memory wiped? Everyone I talked to mentioned that he needed to be, but I did not understand why. As far as I can remember, Vader never sees C-3PO directly in any of the movies. I guess you could argue that C-3PO might tell others about what he has seen, but then you also should wipe R2-D2.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Ahh... Good point Ryan about C-3PO. I forgot about that.

I do agree that the acting in this version was better. And the more I think about, the more I really do think that this one was at least as good as ROTJ. I think I'm just going to have to see it again to be sure:)

R said...

I thought the acting sucked. The only good acting I could see was Ewan McGregor's, and even then it seemed he was doing it tongue-in-cheek.

Natalie Portman's character...why did they have to dumb her down! She is a much better actress than the part they wrote for her. It made me cringe hearing her lame lines knowing what an awesome actress she is. Why, Natalie, why??!??!

And I never got to see this cleavage I've read so much about. I'll have to definitely see the flick again to catch this.

Did y'all see how suddenly all the technology on the Star Destroyers was brought back to old 70's type buttons and dials and shit? It's like one minute they're using these awesome hovering transparent touch-screen computers and then the next they're messing with big goofy red buttons and blinking lights.

What the fuck?