Monday, January 03, 2005

Catholic School Does Right Thing. Parents Complain.

I've got a TON of stuff to write about my great vacation back to Michigan, but I'm still paying for the fun of new years. Therefore, I thought I would just comment on this story that I saw on CNN this morning:

Catholic school angers some by admitting gay couple's sons

Apparently, a Catholic school in California admitted two students to its kindergarten class who's parents are gay. The parents of the some of the students at this school then went off on some sort of wild holier than thou thing where they demanded that children not be admitted if the parents of those children did not follow Catholic teaching.

I really need to give some credit to the Superintendent of this school system. His point that, "if Catholic beliefs were strictly adhered to, then children whose parents divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be banned.." is spot on. "Hello...kettle...This is the pot calling...You're BLACK!...<click>".

I also am shocked at the serious fear that folks have of gay couples. These are KINDERGARTEN students. THEY ARE 5 YEARS OLD! They don't have a sexual agenda. They don't even understand what a penis is yet. Sheesh. Switch to decaf people... Just because their ADOPTED fathers are gay, that automatically means these kids should be denied a Catholic education? Why punish these children for the choices their adopted father's made? Seems unfair to me, but hey, I'm just a Protestant... ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*grin* i think they should refuse him.... then that poor little kid won't be subjected to all that catholic crap.

~bronwyn

R said...

What, you mean standing next to a gay person WON'T make me gay?!?

Holy crap, next thing you tell me is that I can't contract HIV by touching someone with the virus!

Dumb homophobic fucks.