Sunday, April 17, 2005

Movies Suck

I'm writing a lot of posts lately to say things suck...

The last 3 movies Sue and I have seen over the last two weeks have all sucked. They sucked for different reasons, but ultimately they sucked for us.

1) Sideways: For all the critic/Oscar buzz this movie generated, I was expecting it to actually BE funny. Nope. Way too serious. It was really a pretty deep movie about folks dealing (or not dealing with) the way their life has turned out. Maybe it would have been better for me if I was expecting that. But when you put the word "comedy" on the box, I'm expecting to laugh more than once during the run-time of the movie.

2) Napoleon Dynamite - Slight better, but after about 20 minutes of it I lost interest. It had its moments, but just not enough to make me want to watch it all the way to the end.

3) Sin City - Of all them, I like this one the most. But it still sucked. Its very much like Kill Bill in a lot of ways. I'm also starting to respect directors more and more. I could tell exactly which scenes Quentin Tarantino had his hand in (most of the second story I think). In terms of visuals, the movie is amazing. It really is like watching a comic book that moves. But in the end visuals can't make me like a movie. They can make it hard for me to hate a movie, but they can't make me like it. My biggest problems with this movie were two fold. (1) I counted at least 5 times where a male's genitals where ripped off or shot in this movie. Any movie where that happens once is automatically downgraded. 5 times and you can't do better than a 3 out of 5 for me. (2) WARNING!!! SPOILER AHEAD. Stop reading NOW if you care: The movie is really three different stories, but they never come together in any real way. None of them are good enough on their own to make the movie, and the lack of a connection really makes the end of the movie feel like something is missing.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I agree, they all sucked!