Monday, March 05, 2007

We all could be a little better...

Earth from Space


Glacers melting



This past weekend Eric and I finally got around to watching An Inconvenient Truth. I do not care what political party you belong to: if you are human and have a heart at all you must watch this movie. At least go to the website and read about it; you can read, right? Go here for some of the science.

I also do not see why caring about the environment is a liberal issue. If you live on Earth then you should care. Ensuring your children have a world to live in is a moral issue, not a political one. If you care about the planet at all you should do something to save the planet you live on. Otherwise why bother working and building a future for yourself and why bother having kids when they won't have a planet to live on?

American's contribute more pollution than Southeast Asia, South America, the Middle East, and Africa combined. That is frightening. As humans, everyone needs to do their part and stop being lazy and selfish. The Republicans answer to this is usually, "so? I will be dead by then." Hello!!! Why are you having children and why are your children having children? I am not, but if you are Christian, this should be simple. You believe in God, God "created" Earth. I do not think he would like the fact that you destroyed his hard work. That should be a sin.

The fact is that global warming has already begun. Have you noticed how each year is a little warmer? In Michigan especially, we can tell by how much less snow falls each winter. The glaciers are disappearing. Notice all of the bigger, more frequent hurricanes, tornados and typhoons? Katrina was so huge partly because of global warming.

You can go here to see 6 pages of things that you can do. Some are simple things so there is no excuse.


I realized how bad Eric and I are in our habits. I felt awful after watching this. I know I have blogged about American car companies, but I have a new look and a new respect for Asian car companies. At least Honda and Toyota are doing something to decrease global warming because China and Japan have regulations on gas mileage to decrease emissions. Of course Americans only care about this if it saves them money. We are currently looking for a hybrid car. We only need one since Eric doesn't drive. Plus Ann Arbor is going to start up a train utilizing old rail tracks along US-23 from Brighton to the U of M hospital and eventually it will come to Howell, so I will take that to conserve energy. We replaced all of our lightbulbs with fluorescent ones to conserve energy and save money. We always shut off appliances and lights when not in use. The Mythbusters even found this to be true. We are going to switch some of our appliances to energy savers and we are going to check our insulation. Also, I am going to plant tons of trees this year. At my mom's house we always planted at least 10 trees a year, one year we planted 100. We planted one in Alabama last year ;) Of course being a Dave Matthew's fan for 13 years I have always given money to Green peace through them cause they are big contributers. There is more that we are going to do. Please help us, we are only two people...

"Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us." ~Henrik Tikkanen


"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?" ~Robert Redford, Yosemite National Park dedication, 1985


"Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!" ~Dr. Paul MacCready, Jr.


"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." ~Native American Proverb



4 comments:

Kieno said...

You'd be surprised at how being 'green' and being cost-effective really go hand-in-hand. Buy a smaller car so that you can use less gasoline. The benefit is obvious from simple gas cost to lower insurance rates for everyone.

What I need to work on is using less gas with my little corolla. Top Mileage is 32 mpg and I probably get about 28-29 because I drive too damn fast.

I would love it if I had a train that could take me to work everyday. That would mean I only need to buy a car about once a decade vs once every 5 years!

Paul said...

yeah, mass transit rules!

As for an Inconvenient Truth, I'm really glad you guys (finally) saw this important movie. Not only did I find it informative, it was also entertaining (Futurama ftw!)

Sue said...

I heard the whole meat eating thing was bad because of the cows producing Methane. Thanks for the post, very interesting. Just another reason not to eat meat! I never really liked it much. I guess the award goes to Uncle R for biggest conserver of energy with the whole vegetarian thing! :) Now if we could just convince Eric...

sodbuster said...

Smaller cars is a good idea for several reasons. Unfortunately, SUVs are more popular, even with environmental activists. We have two prominent scientists right here in Huntsville who are skeptics as to the conclusions presented in the Gore movie. There are good reasons to reduce fossil fuel burning, world wide, without consideration of man induced climate change. See article accessed by link below.

http://briartech.com/blog/gw.pdf