Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Marriage

A friend of mine who shall remain nameless recently sent me the following myspace message:


Now the Q & A since its almost Valentines Day...you and your wife look so freakin happy its almost disgusting, but I'm a hopeless romantic so its not to me....te he. Anyway, the million dollar question is...*ahem* How do you stay so happily married??? I divorced a while back and now I'm in a long term relationship with my son's father...and I'm TERRIFIED to get married again. The sad part is he's a really great guy :( I guess Im just afraid I'll fall out of love with him too. So, Dr. Eric, obvious relationship expert, how does one come upon such perfection?


I wrote her the following response in private, but seems so appropriate for Valentines Day that I thought I would share:

We are pretty happy, but I've always thought a big part of that is that we are insanely over the top in love with each other. I couldn't live without Sue anymore and the same goes for her (I think). And oddly it is the same now as it was 10 years ago when I met her. Sure, we have had some fights and rough spots, but the good days have so far way outweighed the bad ones.

So I guess very short answer to "How do you stay so happily married?" is find someone you can't spend another day without. If you can do that, the rest is pretty easy.


Happy Valentines Day Sue:)

3 comments:

Sue said...

I love you too Baby!

I would also have to add that the other key to a happy marriage is laughter. We are contantly laughing and enjoying our time with each other. Eric makes me laugh so hard everyday!!!

Paul said...

awww... Happy V-day guys! You make a great couple. We love you even though you *are* disgustingly cute sometimes.

Although I suppose I've been accused of being disgustingly cute in my relationship too...

Eric said...

I hear ya. Sometimes we are so cute together that even I throw up in my mouth a little;)