Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Spider-Man 2 review

Warning: Spoilers ahead. If you haven't seen the movie, you may want to skip reading this blog entry. Don't say I did not warn you, cause this is your warning right here.

Lets just get the obvious stuff out of the way. First, I was not a big fan of the first Spider-Man movie. Quite frankly, I'm not certain why everyone was so googlely eyed over it. The CGI was not THAT good, and besides I am on record that CGI usually hurts a movie more than it helps (If I can tell it is CGI). Call me old fashion, but if I can tell it is CGI then the whole "suspension of disbelief" and "movie experience" goes right out the window. Make it seamless, or don't use it at all.

So now that I have that out of the way, I can talk about what I liked and did not like about this movie. On a scale of 1 - 10, with ten being the best movie ever, I would give this movie a 6. First off, the things I liked about the movie:

1) The fight scenes were much better in this movie. The CGI of Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus is fluid and dynamic. In keeping with the fact that Spider-Man is older and more comfortable with his powers now, he uses a good deal more of them while fighting. The train scene is particularly well done.

2) Alfred Molina ("Doctor Octopus") is excellent in this movie. He gets to play both a good guy and a bad guy, and his personal redemption at the end of the movie is very well acted. He is never over the top in my mind.

3) Stan Lee (creator of Spider-Man) gets to make a cameo.

Now the things I did not like:

1) The movie is slow. REALLY slow in spots, especially in the middle of the film.

2) Tobey Maguire just ain't Spider-Man. I'm not entirely sure why I don't like him as Spider-Man, but I just don't. I think it is the fact that he plays Peter Paker as such a whinny pussy. That is just not how I remember Spider-Man/Peter Parker as a kid. Not entirely his fault is the script, which is light on the usual quick quips that Spider-Man is famous for. This point alone probably accounts for most of the reason I gave the movie a lower score.

3) Couple of plot points that confused me during the movie and that afterwards just flat out made no sense. In the scene where Mary Jane asks Peter if he loves her, Doctor Octopus throws a car through the window of the restaurant right at Peter Parker. Any normal person would have been killed by that car, leaving the Doc with no way to find Spider-man. So why would he do that?

4) The grandmother's speech about "a hero in all of us" was sappy, cheesy, and REALLY boring.

Overall, I thought it was just alright. I was never blown away; I never had any empathy for a character in the movie.

5 comments:

Sue said...

I would agree, but I would give it a 4 or 5. Doesn't it make you think, where did all the money go? This movie did not seem like it took $200 million to make. Tobey McGuire is NOT a hero type and shouldn't play one. I swear that Spider man in the movie cried about 5 times and was teary eyed throughout the entire thing. What a wuss!

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R said...

I don't get jooz guyz. First you vehemently swear you will never watch Spider-Man 2, giving reasons why you hated the first movie, and then. . .you go and see the damn movie anyway.

omg wtf lol

bodhisattva said...

I think that Toby Mcquire is a really good spiderman... he's just not quite cheesy enough. Spiderman was the cheesiest comic book character ever, which is why he was also my favorite. I was left wondering, "where did all the bad puns go?"

Sue said...

We went to see it with friends because that is what they wanted to see and we wanted to hang out with them. Sometimes you have to do things you hate to hang out with friends. Plus we wanted to see it to see that it actually wasn't that good as everyone says. It was too overly advertised so it had to be bad. I like my friend Mike's review Toby McGuire in the movie. He said, "Toby McGuire is a major TOOL! Like revenge of the nerds toolage."