Friday, October 10, 2008

Black Thursday

Yesterday was the day I have been dreading all quarter: the day my 401(k) statement came.

DUN DUN DUN!

<queue ominous music and lightening crashes>

And I was right to be afraid. I lost 12% of my retirement in one quarter! 12%! Eight years to save up that 12%. One quarter to lose it all! FR@#K! Stupid subprime idiots!

I guess I have to look at this as a good time to be buying cheap stocks, but that's small comfort. A little better comfort is that I won't be retiring for almost 40 years anyways (who am I kidding? I'll work until they pry my keyboard and mouse from my old crooked fingers...)

2 comments:

Sue said...

I told you not to look at it cause it would just be depressing. In a few years it will all be a bad memory...

You will be an old guy sitting on the porch with your laptop in your lap working and the hose on the ground next to you waiting to chase children away...

Kieno said...

I haven't even looked at my 401k yet. Honestly I'm not even concerned. I guess I'm lucky because it's easy for me to turn on the "Out of sight, out of mind" switch. My personal stock portfolio took a hit. A 25% hit to be exact. I just sold off some of the losers and repositioned.

I guess it does kinda suck, but I've been here before. I roll my eyes, I check to make sure I want to be in the stocks I'm in, and then I just log off. Nothing more you can do :-)

You'll be alright. Cheer up, you still have 87% of it!