Thursday, August 28, 2008

1984

I just finished 1984, THE classic book about what society would be if we gave up all our personal freedom.

First thought: It's fucking depressing.

I mean, I knew it was going to be. You can't write a book about "big brother" watching literally everything without it being depressing. But still...

Its the sort of book that makes you want to immediately go out and yell "FUCK THE GOVERNMENT" at the top of your lungs just because you can.

1984 is worth the price of admission solely for it's take on how government works (even government today), why we need a giant military complex in the US, and why privacy is important even if you don't have anything to hide.

1 comment:

Paul said...

well, I'm at least glad that, here, 24 years after the prophesied date, it didn't happen.

Of course, I understand too, that, one reason it didn't happen is that Orwell wrote a book that scared everyone enough to keep 2+2 equaling 4