Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Batman was Awesome

The Dark Knight was awesome. Heath Ledger's Joker stole the show. Dark and evil and a perfect psychopath. Scary stuff all the way around.



SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't seen the movie, you want to stop reading now!



Paul and I were discussing the scene where the two ships are rigged to explode based on what the other ship did. Call me cynical, but I have trouble believing that both would do nothing. I just can't imagine that among 400+ passengers not one would stand up and turn that key in order to protect their....whatever (spouse, children, etc.). If it was just me on the boat, I like to think I couldn't pull that trigger. But to protect Sue, you can bet that I would have turned that key...

But I wonder what everyone else thinks they would have done. Obviously its impossible to say for sure, but what is your gut reaction?

4 comments:

Sue said...

I would have blown up the other ship to save myself as well as the others on with me. Ecspecially if there were kids on the boat, which there were in the movie. I would most definitely do it to save Eric and my dogs...

kmaz said...

I don't know, I say I would but when I think I would be killing 400+ people. I don't think that I could turn the damn key, and if I did I don't think I would be able to live with myself for too long afterwards. So in reality I would not be able to turn the key, and be responsible for all those deaths.

PLM said...

I would probably turn the key, but I am evil. To rationalize killing 400+ people I would also be saving 400+ people. Remember if nothing was decided by midniight both boats were suppose to blow up so then everyone was going to die. Which would be better 400 people or 800 people dying?

kmaz said...

The fact that 800 people would die is not really the point. You are trying to rationalize the fact that you killed 400+ people. If both boats had blown up it was the psychopath killing the people and not you. It is truly a moral dilemna; is it worth killing others to save your own life.

Is this where the needs of the many are greater than the needs of a few? But that can't be the case because both boats had about the same amount of people, so in all actuality it is that basic human instinct for survival that kicks in and why most would turn the key.

But as stated earlier how could you live with yourself, and how would you be able to see the families of the other people on the boat, and you most definitely would. Could you look into their eyes and tell them that you should have lived and not their sons or daugters, mothers or fathers?