Thursday, March 06, 2008

Bad Idea

From The New York Times:

Fla. and Mich. Governors: Give Us Our Delegates

Florida and Michigan are demanding that either the DNC accept the results of their elections or pay to have them run a new election.

Now I know I am betraying my own state by saying this, but there is no way the DNC should give in to this pressure. Michigan and Florida both knew what the party rules said about moving the date of your primary. Hell, members from the state party helped draft and approve the rules!

The bottom line is they knew the consequences and they ignored them.

Change the rules for them now, and you can bet that in the next election both parties would have a full on revolt on their hands where every state would move their primaries forward knowing that the rules aren't going to be enforced anyways. That way leads to chaos.

Worse, you are really punishing Obama for following the rules the party set forth (no campaigning in these states, take your name off the ballot, etc). That just doesn't seem fair. It would be like changing the number of delegates that Rhode Island gets from 21 to 121 now that the election is over there.

Bottom line: It sucks my voice was not heard in the Democrat primary, but I don't blame the DNC. I blame my state legislature. You should too.

No comments: