Thursday, December 01, 2005

Another Trip

I'm in Phoenix this week yet again for a work at the Boeing plant here. Right now I am so hopped up on the caffeine in this extra large slurpie that I am shaking in excitement. So to pass the time until I can fall asleep, I thought I might write down my random stream of conciseness.

First, I cannot believe just how many comments I got from my posts about Iraq. Apparently its a subject that brings out responses from the people:) I wonder if I can repro that with another post on a completely different topic. Doubt it.

I'm out here testing with a middle aged woman (she told me here age so it is ok that I call her that) that surprisingly, I'm getting along with swimmingly. Before we left I was imagining us staring at each other across the table and never talking the entire time. Instead, we have talked about the entire gauntlet of things that co-workers are not supposed to talk about: religion, politics, and the great pumpkin. Ok, only two of those actually.

Some how we have managed to hire at least 2 competent people at work so far this year. I'm so impressed. Our interview process sucks. We don't have people write code, which is a HUGE mistake in my book. And we focus too much on the process crap and not enough on coding skills in general. Oooooo...you programmed in Ada 10 years ago and in C since the language was invented. Whoop de do. Too much "gut feeling" hiring and not enough qualitative measurements. So when we get good developers, its mostly a crap shoot.

WHY MUST EVERYTHING BE SO HARD?!?!! WHY MUST I FAIL AT EVERY ATTEMPT AT COHERENT BLOGS?!?!?!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Just get your ass home already ;) This was a Mr. Caffeine blog, I can tell....

Here is something scary, they do not have you do nurse stuff at an interview either. They just hire you if you passed school and the board exam. Not every nurse is an A student. Some of them barely passed and killed many a pt in exams.

Eric said...

That is scary. I need to remember to ask doctors and nurses where people graduated in their class before accepting treatment.

R said...

What's so hard about

int main(void)
{
printf("Hello world!\n");

return 0;
}

anyway?