Wednesday, June 22, 2005

What are your plans?

As Eric and I have mentioned, we have been watching a lot of Six feet under to catch up on this great show! We just rented Season 2 and have been watching everyday.

Anyway, watching this show makes you think about your own death and that you are not immortal. Eric and I have been talking about it and have discussed our own wishes for when we die. It is sad, but most people don't talk about it because they are afraid and so their wishes are never carried out. Look at Terri Schiavo, if she would have taken the time to make out a living will then she would not have had to spend 15 years trapped in her own broken body! How depressing. If you do not have any legal documents, then at least tell all of your family and friends your wishes. If you have that sticker on your license that says that you want to donate your organs or body, it won't happen if one member in your family disagrees. If you don't want to be buried, tell them! It is important. Sure funerals are for the families to get closure, but you should be able to have what you want done with your body.

My wishes are as follows: If possible, donate all of my organs to whoever needs them. I will have an open casket, if the my body is not mangled, so that the family and Eric can see me. Buy a cheap casket for that, it doesn't matter! Then cremate me, please. I think burying people in the ground is so wasteful. Just take my ashes and spread them in Ireland so that I may return to my roots.

I want bagpipes to play "Amazing Grace" at my service, I am not religious, but I love the way it sounds. It truly touches the soul! Maybe 'tis because me Irish/Scotish blood be flowin through me veins. The whole cd at the link above for Amazing Grace is good, actually. I may want "My heart will go on" on bagpipes too... It is a beautiful song.

I also want Dave Matthews "Lie in our Graves" to be blasted at some point during the service. I want everyone to dance like hippies, and to be free! After my funeral, I want everyone to have a party and to celebrate my life, not mourn it! Have a drink, or five, on me!

So, do you have a plan....?

7 comments:

Eric said...

That does sound like a good plan:) I'll probably have trouble celebrating when you are gone though.

Luckily I will probably die within a week of either starvation, sadness, or because I can't figure out where you hid my medicine.

Sue said...

Our severe lack of comments is depressing. If you read at least put hi as a comment so we don't feel like we are writing to the air!

Eric said...

HI

Anonymous said...

I always read I just don't leave comments :) -Kelly

R said...

I'd like to be buried in the ground so I can go back to the earth and all that hippie shit. I probably would allow organ donation, but the whole cremation thing freaks me out (I mean, what if you wake up in the casket while it's being put through the fire?!?!).

But, and this is an absolute requirement, as the casket is being lowered, I want AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" to be played.

Sue said...

R, Highway to Hell is a great idea!

Eric said...

I got no problem with talking about my funeral. Well, first thing is I want to be a organ donor. Heck, if you can donate my whole body for some horrible medical experiment that involves lightning and a giant antenna, I'm all for it.

Before that, I want an open casket for my family. Nothing fancy. No flowers. I want everyone to donate to some worthy charity like Habitat for Humanity or something like that instead (what the fuck is whoever is left going to do with all those flowers? "Great, Eric just died. Now I have to watch 30 flower arrangements die as well. Super...").

I don't know what to do about music. Something happy. Like CCRs Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. Yeah, that would be nice and mellow, without all the crying and what not.

Although for some egotistical reason, I have this vision that every woman I ever dated screaming hysterically that "He was the one that got away!"