Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Ramblings of Eric: Part 2 - Free Will

The first of the rambling posts that isn’t about rambling posts:

I’m an ardent believer in free will. So much so that nearly the whole of my belief system about humanity is based on this one idea. My thoughts on religion, the presence of a soul, abortion, gun control, the death penalty, addiction, love, hate, the presence of evil in our world; all of them tie back to this singular belief in humanity’s ultimately free will. So if I am going to put down any other ramblings about these beliefs, I need to start with this one.

To be precise, I’m speaking about what most would call “true” free will. Philosophy majors would call it “internal” free will, making a distinction between external free (whether others allow me to do what I will) versus internal free will (whether I really decide what my will is), so I guess I will do the same. I’m not interested in external free will (at least not here). What I’m talking about is internal free will. It is defined (at least by me) by the ability of an individual to make choices regardless of current or previous external stimuli. This stands in stark contrast to determinism, in which my brain, and with it my identity, is nothing but a series of very complicated chemical reactions.

The main reason I believe in free will really quite simple. Every thought I have appears to stem from this free will. Every thought I have reinforces the notation that my thoughts are independent. And I’m willing to admit that perhaps this is merely a personal delusion. But, and this is the important part now, so pay attention: I am not the only person who has this feeling. Ask yourself if you believe that you are conscious; if you believe that your choice of actions are your own. Every sane person on planet will agree that, at the very least, they have the same delusion that their choices appear free.

So now we come to the crux of the argument. Imagine that you are looking at a tree in the middle of a great field. You see the tree, no denying that. But perhaps you are mistaken, or your senses are confused. So you ask your friend with you if they also see a tree. He also affirms that, yes, he sees the tree as well. Now you get all your friends to come, and lo and behold, they ALL see the tree. To deny that the tree is their now would simply not be rational. This is identical to the argument for free will. The fact that everyone has the same perception of free will should imply that free will must be real. Otherwise, we have to accept that EVERYTHING we perceive is suspect. That is, we have no more reason to accept that the tree we all see is any more real than the free will we all perceive.

Of course, it is not that easy. If it were, every philosophy major would be out of job pretty quickly. I realize there are all sorts of issues with the above. For one, it is obvious that the physical brain has SOMETHING to do with how my thought process operates. Any Friday night that involves consuming large quantities of alcohol should confirm this. I tend to picture the mind as just another filter through which my conscious views the world. It’s no different from my eyes or ears. Both can be damaged, impaired, etc, and this can have a drastic effect on my perception of the world.

I think that is enough rambling for one night. Next time: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin: a thesis of everything.

3 comments:

Sue said...

To quote Homer: "Whoa". Y'all are deep. Damn deep. It is early this morning so I will have to think of a good thought out comment. Eric, I love you and I am glad that you wrote a blog about this! Go baby!

R said...

I think you guys are making "free will" more complicated than what it really is; either that or are discussing a much more abstract philosophical concept that has little to do with free will.

My understanding of what free will means is the ability to make a choice. That's it. Government may make laws limiting your speed on the highway, but I can freely choose to break those laws (as I often do). I can choose to flap my arms and jump off a building as well.

Free will, however, does not mean freedom from consequence.

Ryan made references to limitations that I will characterize with an example: choosing to be a millionaire if you're born in a ghetto. Economic and class limitations do impact, to some extent, the OPTIONS available to you. However, within those realm of options you are still free to choose as you wish.

If every person on this planet had the option to be anything at all they wanted to be just by power of will, regardless of their race, class, economics, religion, etc.., we'd be a bunch of lazy-ass attractive millionaires having wild orgies all the time.

*Sigh*

Eric said...

Uncle R,

There is no question that feedback plays a part in how I make decisions. However, I still believe I can override negative or positive feedback anytime I want with a mere thought. I know that sticking my hand in the light socket will hurt, but if I want to, I can. The feedback of getting a 110V through my arm may persuade me not to do it again, but no matter how many times I put my hand in that light socket and get it zapped, I can ALWAYS decide that I am going to stick my hand in one more time.

Thats my free will. The ability to make decisions that are illogical or go against the environment that you are placed in.