Monday, August 16, 2004

Olympics are Back again

I have a secret confession to make... I love the Olympics. I was only 6 years old, but I can still remember watching the track and field events in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angles.

The funniest thing about the Olympics is that I can get excited about events that would not care about any other time. For example, the other day I was watching rowing. Not the most exciting event, but I was riveted to the TV; yelling at it to "GO..... GO!!!!" (BTW: The US won by only ~0.20 of a sec).

I could do without the commercial whoring that the Olympics has come to be. I know that putting on the Olympics costs a HUGE amount of money. I know that a lot of the people who compete the Olympics have no other way to pay for the 4 years of training to compete in the Olympics. But still, it would be nice to go back to the old days where the Olympics was more about amateurs competing for the glory of winning, not giant endorsement contracts (I know that is not every athlete, but NBC has been gushing about that Phelps guy now for the last 10 minutes and it is starting to get to me).

No comments: