Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Three things I have learned never to discuss with people...

With all the buzz going on lately for the presidential primaries, I'm a little bitter that my vote in the Democrat primary next Tuesday won't even count! Bah. Ah well. I can take some comfort in the fact that if Romney loses here on Tuesday, that will pretty much be the end of his campaign.

Now I just have to decide if I should vote for the Republican I dislike the least (McCain) or if I should vote for the guy who would have the most trouble beating the Democrats (got to go with Hunter here. Who the heck is this guy any ways?).

The guy I don't want to see nominated: Huckabee. I've seen him on the Colbert Report a few times and every time I've thought that, "this is a reasonably smart, charismatic guy who can woo with the best of them". Hell, if he wasn't such an die-hard right wing religious guy, I might even be able to vote for him. This is a guy who could beat a Democrat.

I guess it could be worse. Honestly, if I look over every president in my lifetime, I can't help but notice that when it comes to moral issues and social changes, the president really can't do a hell of a lot. Congress is too divided on the real issues for there to be any real changes to things like gun control, abortion, etc. So the fact of the matter is I'm voting for the guy/gal who will best handle foreign affairs and budget issues. Maybe throw Social Security (yea right...) and universal health care on the pile. But moral and social issues? Not a chance.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Yeah, Hucakabee scares me because I liked him so much on TDS. Luckily, he scares the big businesses that tend to support the GOP.

(go go squirrel meat in popcorn popper! which Huckabee admitted to having cooked before he was gov)

Joyce said...

Still vote, hopefully those delegates will be re-granted at the convention and voted on accordingly. Vote uncommitted!

Unknown said...

I don't like Huckabee because his religious values make him stink of Religious-Right KY Jelly. I don't know if he really believes Intelligent-Design should be taught in schools or if he's just saying it to sound good to the church of the "Holier-Than-Thou".

I like his idea of "Fair-Tax". Where you only charge tax on consumption. At least I wouldn't have to file income taxes. But I doubt he'll ever get that pushed through congress.

And yes, the Democratic councilmen here in Michigan have their asses way up their heads. I said it that way because it's true, they can't even screw-up right!

But hey, don't you think we should vote for Hillary because (sniff...sniff) she's so darned emotional? It takes real honest acting to cry like that in front of camera!