Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Computers Hate Me

The hard drive on my work PC died this weekend. No warnings, no weird sounds, just poof. I turn it off Saturday night it is working fine. I turn it on Sunday morning, hear a bunch of horrible sounds and get an error saying the drive could not be read from.

FUCK!

Of course I'm not backing up data at a regular interval. Just kind of whenever I think of it. So I now I have a bunch of code projects up on our servers that are half checked in and half old code.

FUCK!

And I'm never going to remember what I have changed and not changed because we use the dumbest source control system on earth. Since it has no idea what files I had checked out, I'm at this weird state where I know somethings are not right. I just don't know where those changes were or how to go about putting them in anymore.

FUCKIDY FUCK FUCK!

7 comments:

Sue said...

Eric has had 3 computers die on him in the last 3 years or so, you would think that he would have learned the first time to save data. Nope!!

Joyce said...

mmmmmm note to self, "do not let eric work on computer, let self mess it up"

Unknown said...

Well I always ask "Did you back up your data?" in condescending voice when someone asks me to fix their computer, but do I do it, hell no. Why do computer people never do what they talk about but tell everyone to? Well I finally commented, now off to back up... ahh never mind.

Kieno said...

hard Drive failures are tough, but it's not a total lost cause. I remember some fellas out in East Lansing that knew how to download data off a bad Hard Disk.

My HD failed but somehow they got it working again and saved all my data. That HD still enjoys 'limited' use but I don't put anything critical on it.

The place is called Fast Repair And Gaming (FRAG). I don't know if they're still in business, but if they are I recommend.

Unknown said...

There's always the freezer trick to see if it works for a while. Put the hard drive in a zip lock bag, stick it in the freezer for a while, then it might boot up normally and long enough to get info from it.

Eric said...

Well, I tried the freezer trick yesterday. It did get me a little farther, but still no luck reading. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anonymous said...

"fuck fuck fuck"...I wonder if I can say that to my computer in my office :) Think my boss will let me get away with it haha That does suck though Eric yuch!