Friday, July 27, 2007

Don't drink the water, there is earth's blood in the water




It is no secret that I have become even more hippie lately. I am on board full force to stop global warming. I saw this link on CNN and it angered me:









Why is America so stupid? Why do Americans continue to buy bottled water? It is fucking water! Walk to your damn sink, turn on the faucet and get a glass of water! It is just that easy! We are basically telling our city water departments to keep on being lazy and stop keeping the tap water clean. All of the bottled water companies just filter tap water anyway and then they resell it to you with at least a 1000% markup. Have you ever seen any of these so called springs some of the companies claim to get water from. Buying water just seems imbecilic . It is an all time low for the world. Plus the health of the world is suffering because with bottled water you do not get the nutrients like flouride, iron, calcium, and magnesium that you need to function. Trust me. Most of the patients I see have low levels of these and we have to replace them.



The bottles themselves are wasteful and then most of America doesn't even recycle them. Plastic is an oil derivative and is very wasteful to produce. This is from Wikipedia for bottled water:


"The annual global consumption of bottled water in 2004 is 154 billion liters, [2] up 57 percent from the 98 billion liters consumed five years earlier. Though the materials used are generally recyclable, 90% of bottles are not recycled. The Pacific Institute calculates that the process of making the plastic for the water bottles consumed in the U.S. uses approximately 20 million barrels of oil per year (Harpers Magazine, July 2007). Overall, the average energy cost to make the plastic, fill the bottle, transport it to market and then deal with the waste would be "like filling up a quarter of every bottle with oil." (Peter Gleick, an expert on water policy and director at the Pacific Institute in Oakland, California.(Seattle P.I.)"




The think outside the bottle campiagn is a good website to go and get info about the bottled water companies and where they get their water from.




We can stop global warming if we as humans just open our eyes and see the waste that is right in front of us. We have to stop with the American way of thinking that everything is roses if there is not a big gun pointed at us. Our generation and those after us need to change things!! Please don't help kill the earth, there is no other planet out there.
"Nine planets round the sun Only one does the sun embrace Upon this watered one So much we take for granted" Dave Matthews Band - One Sweet world

5 comments:

Kieno said...

Guilty as charged! I drink bottled water. But then again, I drink a lot of water period that is no secret. What I don't do is buy bottled water by the case and throw everything out.

Funny that you mentioned Aquafina, but I buy their water just so I can have the bottle! :) The liter sized bottles have this really big mouth that I can easily drink my 3 liters per day. Do I buy 3 bottles per day? No, I buy one about every month or so and fill that up with ... you guessed it... tap water!

But drinking bottled water has snob appeal. It's for people with more money than sense.

Joyce said...

word!!!! I think we should start charging a deposit, so people will be somewhat Financially responsible in returning the bottles. If not, I'll take them back for the dough!!!!! whats your take on britta filters?

Sue said...

I do think that reusing a bottle is a great idea and more power to you Kieno. At least that is recycling.

I also think that filtering your water is a good idea. Eric and I went to Home Depot and bought a filter for $20 and we just hooked it up to the water line coming off of the refridgerator's line. It saves a lot of money.

Kieno said...

Funny that you mentioned a deposit on Bottled water. I was just thinking the other day that we should increase the bottle deposit. Think back to 1980-something. What was the deposit back then? The same as it is today at $0.10. And how much was $0.10 back then and how much is it worth today?

My thoughts is that for $.25, a quarter I would DEFINITELY return bottles and cans. Nowadays I 50/50 save them/throw them away. The real problem is that even though it costs me a dime, it takes up space in my home. It takes effort to actually keep them in a bag somewhere that looks ugly. And it also smells funny. What is that worth to us?

Sue said...

NEVER THROW AWAY ALUMINUM OR PLASTIC! RECYCLE!!!