Sunday, August 06, 2006

Run like...er...something fast!

I bought Sue a treadmill for her birthday, which I have been using to run 2 miles everyday. Today was the first day I notice that my stomach is just a smidgen tighter. Sweetness! And that’s not the only dividend: Let’s just say that Sue noticed a difference in my stamina;)

My eventual goal is to get back to being able to run a mile in under 8 minutes like I could in high school. I’m at roughly ten minutes right now, so still a ways off. Previous runners, any ideas on how I should be structuring these runs? Currently I pretty much just run at the same comfortable speed until my sides are burning, then I walk until it stops. Repeat until I get to two miles. I have to imagine there is a better system out there.

Little piece of advice for the male readers: Do NOT buy your woman a treadmill (or any piece of exercise equipment for that matter) unless she specifically asks for it. Sue came in the door on her birthday from work, saw the treadmill, and decided to screw with me by blurting out, "What are you saying? You think I'm FAT?!?!?!". I'm sure she wishes she had a picture of that deer in headlights moment:) Lucky for me she then immediately laughed and reminded me that she had been asking for one for months. Otherwise it is entirely possible I would still be standing there with my brain stuck in neutral trying to think of anything to say :)

7 comments:

R said...

I agree with the "do not stop" suggestion. Even if you're jogging really really slowly, just dont' fuckin' stop to walk. That's what my cross-country coach in HS told us.

Besides, only pussies and very effeminate men have to stop to walk during a run.

Eric said...

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try them out and let you know the results.

Your right Kien about just ignoring the pain. This morning I tried that and found I could run on for a lot longer than I thought (almost another 1/2 mile).

Sue said...

Boys and their egos. I am glad that I don't have to worry about acting macho!! I run/walk because it is safer and you burn more calories. Working out is about getting healthy not proving you manhood.

Pain is nature's way of warning you so maybe you shouldn't go ignoring it! Coaches aren't looking out for the person, they only care about winning. Boys will always keep me with lots of work!!!

Eric said...

Bah! What does the nurse know? What with all your "training" and "medical knowledge". Like I'm going to listen to facts... :)

R said...

An aside:

Being macho and stupid is part of the natural courtship process. It's embedded in our genetics, and, unless Eric is a pussy or very effeminate-bordering-on-gay man, he probably acted in very macho ways in order to get his woman.

Because that's what chicks want. Again, embedded in their genes, women desire physical strength and capacity. The ideal mate.

So, really, when a guy takes a motorcycle over a makeshift ramp and breaks his neck trying to impress a girl...it's really all the chick's fault.

Carry on!

Eric said...

Mostly I just gave her the best sex of her life. Once I had her hooked on that, the rest was easy;) I didn't even have to even break any bones.

Sue said...

Yeah, women regret marrying the jocks because they reached their prime in their 20's. Geeks and nerds just get better with age and actually can last in bed. Most women do not want the macho guy because the macho guy is usually a dick. Most women I know married the nice, smart, funny guy without the ego.