Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Another Brain Dump

WARNING: This post is the cynic in me talking more than anything. It’s probably going to piss you off by the time you get to the end. Please take a few seconds and breathe before you write a comment.

So I was reading this article by some pompous software engineer about how the mythical programming man-month is a complete joke (he's right FYI), when I came across his claim that the statement "All men are created equal" in the Declaration of Independence was derived from an older proverb: "All men are created equal but by practice grow apart"

I never knew this. And the fact that I didn’t leads me to a completely new rambling:

I’m torn between liberal and conservative in a lot of ways. On the one hand, I’m a big social liberal. Gun control (to a point), abortion (to a point), environmental protections, free speech, gay rights – I’m for them all. But…

Sometimes I think that some of the other liberal ideals are driving us towards are society of completely brain dead drones. Schools are a good example of what I'm talking about: We try so hard to make sure no one feels “dumb” or “slower” than the other students. We don’t reward personal accomplishment; we hide it in the name of keeping everything “fair”. We tell everyone they’re “special” without having to do anything.

Some people have to try harder to accomplish the same thing. So? Why is that such a horrible secret that we now hide it our children?

More than anything else, the conservative idea that we need to take personal responsibility for our actions rings true with me. I think that is a large part the problems our society faces these days stem from the fact that no one takes any responsibly for the things they do. It’s always "someone else’s fault". We are all a victim of something (parents, society, the government, whatever). You know what I mean:

“I'm an alcoholic because my father was an alcoholic”
“I abuse my children because I was abused as a child”

Bull shit. You do those things because you choose to do those things. Take the first one: Don’t give me this shit that you're an alcoholic because your father was an alcoholic. You drink because you want to drink. Ever time I hear someone say that alcoholism is a disease I want to whack them upside the head with a beer bottle. To me, alcoholism is when you (key word here) make the choice every day to drink instead of making the more difficult choice of dealing with whatever problem you are drowning with alcohol. That’s the problem with this idea that you are not at fault. You suddenly feel no guilt for taking the easy choice and continuing your poor habit.

And yes, I see some of my habits as this same choice. I don't deny it, but I don't blame anyone else either. I know my bad habits are my own. And I'm ok with that.

7 comments:

R said...

I agree one million percent.

Sue said...

I am a little torn by this idea. My medical background tells me that addictions are genetic and that behaviors are learned. There is some truth to the addiction is genetic thing. They have tested addicts and somehow their bodies react differently to substances. They get a 10x better high than normal people without the gene. That would be hard to beat if you could live in heaven constantly. I also see that we are conscious humans that make decisions. It is easy for a guy like Eric to make these statements since he came from the perfect family with love and support. Then again, I grew up in a horrible neighborhood, split family before I was 2, no love and support really, family that stole and did drugs with out punishment, friends being beaten to a pulp by their parents, welfare and food stamps and yet I emerged thinking the exact opposite that I should have. I thought: I want a good life and to be successful. I don't know the answer but I do not think that it is cut and dry. Some people have to work and stopping addictions and others are gifted with just being able to quit cold turkey. Good for them. I guess R and Eric are two of them....

Eric said...

I'll have you know that quit World of Warcraft cold turkey a month ago!

Sue said...

Yes, Uncle R, very true. They are addicted to computers. And Eric did quit WoW cold turkey as have I. Now we don't know what to do with our time.

Kien, you are right. I forgot about religion. A lot of people spout about how great they are since they don't do drugs or alcohol and yet they are massively addicted to God or religion, fucking hippocrates. I would trust a druggie more than those freaks! Plus druggies are more fun... ;) I do work in the city now that is home to the hash bash. And they don't even drug test you pre-employment or do randoms..... ;)

Sue said...

Oh man do I despise Ann Coulter. I wonder if she ever listens to herself. Why do people listen to her and buy her books? Insanity.

R said...

Sue, as per your first comment: there is a history of alcoholism that runs in my family and it's got a direct path to me.

I know this and am quite conscious of it. If I fuck my life up by deciding to take the easy way out, I'm not blaming genes for it.

It's my own fucking fault.

R said...

BTW, Ryan's right: I couldn't quit WoW cold turkey to save my life. There's just way too much phat lewtz to accumulate!!!!!!