Saturday, November 08, 2008

First Bad Recession in our Adult Lives

It appears we are heading into a bad recession, the first one I have ever encountered in my adult life. While I tend to think I'm in a pretty safe job, I also thought that the last time I was laid off way back in during the start of the 2001 recession. Is anyone else worried?

One of the things that always interests me is the response companies have to a recession. Almost uniformly, they will cut jobs. But that actually just makes the recession worst because it lowers demand (if you're out of work, you stop buying stuff). That in turn forces more people out of work, which forms this sort of vicious cycle of layoffs and drops in demand.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I hope our new government has some interesting tricks up their sleeves.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

I sure hope so too. That's what I have 3 jobs, lol.

Joyce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joyce said...

I sure hope so too. That's why Joyce has 3 jobs!!! ( my suga mama!!)

Sue said...

Joyce and I won't lose our jobs at least. Healthcare is great job security. I doubt that anything truly horrible will happen. America is too greedy and self involved to let that happen

kmaz said...

I think I'm pretty much safe too, unless of course everyone learns how to use a computer.

Don't teach anyone how to use a computer!