Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Heroically Annoy Me

Heroes is really starting to annoy me. I don't ask much of a sci-fi show, but I expect you at least keep them logically consistent for at least the duration of an episode.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD If you haven't seen the latest episode of Heroes, stop reading!

Did anyone but me notice the huge gaping plot hole in the first episode of the season? The plot (as drilled into us by the constant references to the butterfly effect), was supposed to be as follows:

1) Future Peter comes back in time and shoots his brother Nathan.
2) Future Peter talks Claire out of coming to help her Dad.
3) Since Claire now doesn't go and help her Dad, she is at home when Sylar shows up and gets her powers when he is not supposed to.

OK, except for the fact that if Peter never came back, wouldn't the exact same thing have happened?

1) Claire is at home. Sylar shows up and gets her powers.

How would that NOT be the future?

3 comments:

kmaz said...

She calls Peter when Nathan is Shot and Peter tells her not to go. Since we have no idea how much time has passed between the conversation and the attack it is plausible.

But that throws out the whole save the cheerleader save the world season 1 notion. My annoyance with Peter is that he is a moron who will follow anyone who tells him to.

The gaping plot hole to me is with Hiro, he gets the paper stolen and goes to see what happens in the future. WTF, go back in time like 5 minutes and stop the girl from getting the paper. You have an unlimited chance of opportunities to stop this, but no then it wouldn't be an adventure.

Eric said...

But if he never shoots Nathan in the first place, then how do things end up different then they would have been in his future? Future Peter explicitly tells us that in "his" future, Sylar never gets Claire's power. But I don't see how Sylar DOESN'T get them if Peter doesn't come back...

I guess I might buy the argument that Claire would have gone out or something but the shooting causes her to hang out at home glued to the TV. Maybe I can buy that. I guess I have to. I'm going to watch either way, so I might as well cling to the best answer I can find;)

kmaz said...

Ok from all the sci-fi movies, when Peter goes back in time and changes history, wouldn't he make future Peter change/not exist the way he does? Or did he accomplish nothing because future peter remained the same?