Thursday, December 14, 2006

I protest!

Detroit Free Press - Racy Green Oak mall displays stir up protests

Saw this on the news the other day and I just had to say something. I live within ten minutes of the mall mentioned in this article, so it caught my attention when a group of folks from one of the local churchs started protesting the display in the window of the mall's Victoria Secret.

I don't understand the concept of protesting against underwear displays. You seem to be implying that underwear of and by itself is somehow evil. Aren't you sort of giving the impression to young impressionable girls that they should avoid underwear altogether? Hey, if that is your message I'm all for it:) Maybe I'll show up this weekend with a big sign that reads, "Looking at underwear may make you sin. Avoid the temptation and don't wear any!" I bet the ladies from Holy Spirit would love that:)

Moreover, I don't understand what the big deal is about seeing women's underwear on a mannequin. Did someone walk by the store and think, "Oh my God look! You can see all the way to that mannequin's mold seam. Someone should do something about that!"

Trying to link seeing underwear in a store window with women's dignity is insane. Hey! If you want to wear granny panties all the time, that's your choice. Don't ruin it for the rest of us!

5 comments:

Sue said...

Oh my God, you mean to tell me that they were advertising what they sell!! The horror!! These women are the ones that give other women a bad name. They need to shut their piehole and not shop there if it offends them but to leave it be so that others of us that like VS under clothes can shop there.

On the plus side that article did say there was a new adult store in Brighton, I did not know that. When you get back we will have to go see what all of the fuss is about ;)

Eric said...

Well, that DOES sound like a good idea. Now I'm extra glad I wrote this blog;)

Anonymous said...

You know the people out here in Hamburg/Green Oak area can be a little crazy and some of the people I knew from Holy Spirit were very, very crazy. That's why I stopped going to church.

Sue said...

Ah, good decision Kelly. Email us so we can get your correct email. I keep getting errors. We want to hang out again and we still have your dvd's. Any plans for NYE?

Kieno said...

Remember that whole thing about obscenity and perversion being born in the mind? It's just a mannequin with lace! The obscenity is unbelievably in the minds of the dirty old women of Holy Spirit :-)

It reminds me of the painting by Rene' Magritte. It's the painting of a pipe that says "This here is not a pipe" The trick is that it's definitely a painting and not a pipe. Just like the mannequin, is it a woman in a store window with lingerie, or is it just wood with metal and lace on top? It's only obscene if you make it obscene...