Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Trance Music is God's Music

Among the MANY new things that I learned while in CT/New York this month (Paul: wink, wink) is the fact that I love techno. Here in Huntsvegas...By the way, that is what the locals call Huntsville; I kid you not....Anyways, here in Huntsvegas Sue and I have been to the one real club in town a few times with my work buddy Ryan. Every time I go there I always comment to my buddy that I can deal with their techno music, but after an hour or so I just want to beat someone over the head. He commented that this is because the clubs DJ sucks, and that I would not feel the same about real techno.

Oh, before I forget, I should point out that before our little vacation trip, my favorite music was generally "angry white music (copyright pending)". Sutff like Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, A Perfect Circle (if you do not know what this is, GO TO BEST BUY RIGHT NOW AND BUY THEIR CD. I mean it. It is really really good stuff), Tool, Rage Against the Machine.... you get the idea. Not to say that it was the only music I like to listen to, but it was always my favorite up to this point.

Where was I? Oh right, Trance Music. Thank goodness for the Title textbox to remind me.... After going to the Municipal and listening to a REAL DJ spin, I am hooked on this stuff. I have been listening to a "Hard Trance" stream all day now at work. It is really helping me get through the day. It very upbeat which helps to keep me awake and happy at work, but since it has no words, I can pretty much ignore it while I am writing code. Although if anyone walked by my office and saw me bouncing my hand to the beat while I think about the next thing to code, they would think I was a little nuts....

I've tried a few of the other feeds, but I keep coming back to the Hard Trance feed. This is my favorite type of techno music up to this point. I think it is the non-stop bass. I love that. Now all I need is a way to play this stuff out of our home threater system (HTS) from my computer. I am already working on it. I think for starters I will just run a cable to the headphone jack on my HTS from my laptop's out line. But later on, I need to figure out how I can have my spare PC somehow feed raw digital data to my HTS via a better cable. My PC already has a good sound card (thanks to a birthday gift from my wonderful wife), and I always felt bad that I was not using all of the plugs in the back of the box. Maybe this is a good use for it:) I wonder if they make a wireless adapter for that sort of thing.... Will have to investage that at some point. Best to start low tech for now.

No comments: