Monday, May 30, 2005

See...Other Drivers Really are Stupid

CNN.com - Study: 20M licensed drivers may lack basic safety knowledge - May 27, 2005

OK, I got a good laugh out of this one. GMAC recently ran a survey where they gave a test similar to that one you had to take when you first got your license to over 5000 people. The results say that on average, 10% of the people on the road could not pass. Among the scary highlights:

* one out of five drivers doesn't know that a pedestrian in a crosswalk has the right of way

* one out of three drivers speeds up to make a yellow light, even when pedestrians are present.

Funniest was the fact that the dumbest drivers are from the North East (haha Paul, Sue, and Uncle R). "Twenty percent of test-takers failed there." 20%? My faith in the liberal northeast just dropped by a few points. If one in 5 of them can't pass those brain dead tests they give at the DMV, I'm not sure they should be allowed to run government.

5 comments:

R said...

I'm sure the South would have taken the prize for dumbest drivers if enough people here were literate enough to take the damn test.

Sue said...

I think that the south does have the dumbest drivers and that the survey was inaccurate. Every freakin' day I come across at least 20 + dumbass drivers. They always drive 15 under the limit, I am almost side swiped daily by people not paying attention, people never use turn signals down here and they don't use them correctly. I never had this much trouble in Michigan. Plus the damn southern people still cannot use a roundabout correctly!!!!! How hard is it!?!?!

Eric said...

Sorry Paul. Michigan is "Midwest" by any rational definition. And we rock:)

R said...

I've never understood the "dollars to donuts" phrase. Is that some New Englandish term?

Sue said...

I don't get it either.